Summer is right around the corner! Dust off that barbecue and get ready for days of grilling and entertaining in the sunshine. Now that you’ve had that new custom stone patio built, it’s time to complete your outdoor living space. With some thoughtful decor planning, you’ll ensure your area is inviting (and lasts!) for years to come. When choosing furniture, consider these long lasting materials– and always make sure to take a seat before you buy!
- Aluminum, plastic and PVC: If you’re looking for relatively inexpensive furniture that is easy to maintain, opt for these. The materials are also rustproof and lightweight, making them easy to move around.
- Steel and wrought iron: These heavy duty materials are great if you’re looking for something sturdy. Keep in mind that they need to be weatherproofed or painted periodically to avoid rusting.
- Wicker and natural grasses: One of the most common materials for patios is wicker because of the soft, natural look that it adds to any outdoor space. Don’t forget to treat it every couple of years with a resin finish to protect it from sun damage and other elements.
- Wood: Natural wood looks very attractive in an outdoor setting. It’s sturdiness adds to it’s comfort and is a great option when selecting patio furnishings. Woods like teak, redwood and cedar are weather-resistant, but should you opt for other types, make sure to regularly treat them with a preservative and UV protection.
- Cushions: No decor would be complete without some plush cushions. Choose ones covered in an all-weather fabric and filled with water-shedding polyester. Acrylic fabric resembles cotton, but dries quickly and resists fading and mildew, which is important when battling the elements.
- Don’t forget the shade: When a sunny heatwave hits, you’ll want to seek shade. Choose a weather and UV-resistant umbrella, which is breathable and waterproof.
Looking to entertain this summer? Let Landmark Design build a custom bluestone patio for you! For more information on our stonework patios, or to see what Landmark Design can add to your home, visit us on Facebook or Twitter or give us a call at 203-496-3658 to start planning your next project!